Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Elegant (and easy!) Chocolate Truffles



I discovered this recipe in a magazine a few years ago, and it is so easy and so elegant and so SO delicious that these truffles have become a Christmas tradition for me. In years past we have made them for friends and family (in lieu of cookies or fudge) and this year I made them for all of the Primary teachers at church as a gift from the Primary Presidency of which I am a member.

Here is the recipe:

- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Beat cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until blended. Mix in melted chocolate and vanilla until mixture is uniform in color. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Form into 1" balls, then roll balls in coatings to cover. Coatings can include colored sprinkles (red and green sugar sprinkles are really pretty), powdered sugar (that's my favorite!), nuts, crushed peppermint (I crushed up some candy canes using a rolling pin), or another layer of chocolate (allow to cool until hardened). Makes about 60 truffles.

Pictured below is the packaging I made for my truffles: each roll contains 4 different truffles wrapped in wax paper and wrapping paper with a note on the outside; then I tied the ends with ribbon.


As you can see from the platter pictured at the top of this post, these can also make a very festive treat for any holiday gathering. I have also tried variations in white chocolate, which were delicious as well.

For more homemade Christmas gift ideas, click here.

To see what others are talking about this Tuesday, check out the Lazy Organizer's Talk About Tuesday blog carnival!

Have a beautiful thrifty day! (And a very Merry Christmas!)

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! I make some very similar to this! I love the idea of rolling them up and packaging like that, great gift idea for teachers, etc.! I have enjoyed looking around your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, and sounds pretty easy and fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that does look easy enough for me to make! It would be fun to include the recipe in the packaging too. I'll have to keep this note for next Christmas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look tasty! I'll have to try them this week end! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Nice to know I'm not just sitting here talking to myself. So, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...