Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Homemade Halloween


My son has been really into decorating the house for Halloween this year, and I decided to give him and my daughter the opportunity to make most of the decorations so that they could have fun exercising their creativity and then take pride in displaying their creations. Because of my shortage of blogging time, I have decided to share them with you using multiple posts rather than all at once- much less stress that way!

So in the above photo all I did was get a Halloween coloring book from the dollar store, then I let each child select a picture to color and decorate (using stickers, etc.). When they were done I cut out around the picture and we glued it to a piece of black paper (they had packs of black scrapbooking paper at the dollar store also) and then we punched a hole in the top and added some glow-in-the-dark plastic cord (I found it on sale at a craft store for $1.99 last year) and hung it in the window. This one was (obviously) the one I colored, and I turned it around for the photo (usually it faces out to the street).

I liked hanging them in the window using the cord for two reasons: first, it gives them some "spooky" movement if someone walks by inside or the vent blows on them, and second: it allows us to save them for next year without having to worry about sticky tape.

Check back soon for some origami spiderwebs and fun necklaces....

Do you decorate for Halloween? If so, share your thrifty ideas!

1 comment:

  1. Easy and cheap I love the idea, I'll try it with the boys.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Nice to know I'm not just sitting here talking to myself. So, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...