Monday, September 1, 2008

Give a Little Bit




All weekend I have been following the progress of Hurricane Gustav, as I'm sure many of you have. As I watched families having to leave their homes, unsure of what the future would hold, it got me thinking about what I can do to help.

One of the reasons I work so hard to be thrifty is not only so my family can benefit, but also so that I can have more to give to others. I'm not sure that my surplus of drugstore toiletries would be of help for those affected by the hurricane, simply because of the cost and difficulty associated with shipping them. But I feel blessed that I have saved enough money by doing couponing and other thrifty activities that I have a surplus (albeit small) of cash that I can pass on to agencies like the Red Cross who can allocate the funds to areas where they are most needed.

For those of you who do live in an area where the donation of goods can be useful, I would like to encourage you to do so. And for those of you who are removed from disaster areas, I would encourage you to give of the money you have saved by sending it to charitable organizations that can help those in need.

Recently, I spoke with the Relief Society president at our church about ways that I can donate my extra items to families in our area that may be in need. She happily showed me a closet with an extra shelf cleared off where she told me I could bring my items (toothpaste, shampoo, deoderant, etc.) and then she and the other service leaders could pass it on to families that were having financial struggles. Again, I would encourage all of you who have an excess of these items (and if you do serious couponing, I know you do!) to look for ways to use your blessings to bless others. Unto whom much is given, much is required.

Have any of you found ways to bless the lives of others with your thriftiness? If so, please share in the comments section!

3 comments:

  1. A good charity right now would be the Nei Nei fund they have going around right now. About that poor LDS couple that was in a plane crash and lef them alive but horribly burnt, it will takes months for recovery and they have 4 small children at home. A site called Design Mom has a lot of info on it. It is a really sad situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kasey!

    I got my blogger acount finally.
    I read your blog very often and I really like it, you are a great writer.
    I miss you and all the others playgroup friends.
    Lately I am doing a lot couponing so I will try to find a way to help others.
    Thanks for all your tips.
    A big hug for you and your kids from your friend of AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment, Motherhood For Dummies (love your name, by the way). I appreciate knowing about another worthy cause that I and others can contribute to.

    Brenda- we miss you too! Hope everything is going well in AZ, and keep reading and commenting! Let me know how the couponing is going and if there is any way I can help!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Nice to know I'm not just sitting here talking to myself. So, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...