Friday, November 7, 2008

On the Seventh Day of Christmas...Signs!



I've seen the signs! Well, I've seen a lot of these signs, anyway, and they make a beautiful decoration in any home. I made this sign a couple of years ago, and it was easy and fun to do! All you need is a length of board, available in any home improvement store or lumber yard, some sandpaper, paint, and a few nice words. If you aren't great with lettering, you can use a stencil or adhesive vinyl lettering (like the one above) which you can have custom made at any sign shop, or even find a company to do it online (eBay has a lot of listings for these).

To create this board, I simply sanded down the wood, then painted it with acrylic paints (available at craft stores). After the paint had dried, I applied the vinyl lettering, then added some dimension by sanding down the edges and corners, allowing the natural color of the wood to peek through. Finally, I sprayed the whole thing with a sealing coat of varnish. It all took less than 3 hours.

These are easy to make in "bulk", and you can make each one as different as you want. For ideas on words to use, visit a home decorating store or craft store- they almost always have similar signs like these in stock, and you can snag some great ideas. You can also experiment with different finishes like antiquing or even a crackle finish. Just have fun with it and as always, keep the gift recipient in mind.

Ho, ho, ho! Have you started any holiday projects yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy. Nice to know I'm not just sitting here talking to myself. So, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...