Sunday, March 13, 2011

Happy Easter Banner! (and from the dollar store, no less!)



Can you tell I'm into this spring thing? I realized this week that I had virtually no Easter decorations, and I happened to find these fun little wooden shapes at the dollar store (10 per package):


They were just screaming out for mod podge, and I wanted a way to use them all together, so I decided to make a banner! But first, I wanted to spray-paint them white, so since it was raining outside I just put them in a big box.


I'm still debating whether or not this step was necessary- I just knew that my precision cutting skills and mod-podge technique are not top-notch, so I wanted a nice white border just in case. Since the tissue paper I was going to mod-podge on was translucent and a little on the dark side, I also hoped the paint would lighten them up a bit. But by the time I was done I ran out of spray paint, my finger really hurt, and the house was kinda fume-y. I think next time I'll go with a good ol' brush and craft paint.


Here is the lovely letter "A" all dressed up with its mod-podge treatment. I used my handy dandy Quickutz die cutter and white cardstock to do the letters (if you don't have a die cutter you could always use stickers or paint). Incidentally, the tissue paper came from the dollar store too!


I cut short lengths of sheer pink ribbon, folded them in half and hot-glued them to the back of each shape.


Then I just tied each shape onto one of two long ribbons (one for "Happy" and one for "Easter"), and tied those ribbons together in a knot. Then I added bows to make the ends prettier.


There she sits in all her glory adorning my fireplace! I chose the tissue paper for its muted cottage colors- it gave the banner a shabby-chic feel, which you don't often get with Easter decor because it's often all bright pastels and eggshell white. These colors were a little warmer, which really suited the warm wood tones in my home.


Happy Easter!! For only $3! (a little more if you don't have the ribbon or the mod podge). Time to figure out what else I can conjure up to decorate for Easter....

This week I'm linking up to the following blog parties:


2 comments:

  1. I love when fun projects only cost a few dollars! =) great idea!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love your spring banner!

    Last Monday I did a tutorial on a pink party favor which you might enjoy.

    Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Nice to know I'm not just sitting here talking to myself. So, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...