Friday, October 29, 2010

30-Minute Toasted Pumpkin Seeds! YUM!



I'm a little pumpkin, orange and round!
Here is my stem, there is the ground.
When I get all cut up, don't you shout!
Just open me up and scoop me out!


We had family pumpkin carving night last night! Well, we had kid pumpkin carving night last night. They had a blast and each made up their own designs (well, Little Boo had help from Daddy).


The pumpkin in the middle is Monkey's. He decided he wanted it to be scary- the mouth on the forehead, an eye next to the nose. He said that he wanted it to be really scary so that it would scare all the trick-or-treaters away and we could keep all the candy for ourselves. Hmm...I like the way he thinks...

Today Starlet and I made our family's favorite toasted pumpkin seed recipe. It's super easy, and if you've never roasted your pumpkin seeds before, I recommend having a box of tissues handy after you make your first batch. You will be shedding tears for the thousands of pumpkin seeds that have gone to waste over the years. It's a tragedy, really.


Ohhhh the golden crispy deliciousness! Here's the recipe:

No rinsing or soaking required- just get rid of any guts still clinging to the seeds.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Bring salted water and seeds to a boil- 2 cups of water to every half cup of seeds; 1 tablespoon of salt to every cup of water. (I usually reduce the salt by about a quarter- today I did 2 cups of seeds and I omitted 2 of the tablespoons of salt and they were just fine)

3. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and drain water from seeds.

4. Spray a cooking sheet with oil. Spread seeds across the pan in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees until golden.

5. Take them out of the oven and allow to cool. Then start eating them, realize you can't stop and devour the entire batch.

6. Go to the store,buy more pumpkins just for the seeds, make new batch, repeating steps 1-4, and this time instead of starting to eat them, put them in an airtight container and hide them where only you can find them. Because then you won't have to share.

The end! Enjoy those yummy seeds!!!

Do you have any tasty pumpkin recipe traditions? Leave a comment and share!!

4 comments:

  1. haha, Kasey! You are so funny! I LOVE roasted pumpkin seeds! Sadly, Bill and I have yet to carve pumpkins together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kasey, I always love to make pumpkin seeds, but I've never boiled them first. I can't wait to try your method! I bet it gets off all kinds of gunk and probably softens them some. We're carving on Sunday, I'll let you know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out well and were more crunchy than when I made them previously. I cut the salt you used in half and basted mine in Worchestersire and garlic powder before roasting. I love the pumpkin seeds, too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed them, Jennifer!! :-) I'll have to try basting them next time...sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Nice to know I'm not just sitting here talking to myself. So, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...