Today I have a real treat for you! There have been a lot of "microwave mug cake" recipes floating around on the internet, and I have tried quite a few. Often, they get tricky because of the amount of egg required- the results either turn out too dense or too spongy.
My very favorite chocolate cake recipe is vegan- it has no egg in it at all (it utilizes the leavening magic of baking soda and vinegar instead). I thought, Why not scale down that recipe and turn it into a microwave mug cake recipe?
Well, I scaled it down, messed with it a bit, and discovered the perfect recipe for a moist, light, fluffy cake recipe that just hits the chocolate spot. Here ya go:
The Last Microwave Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe You'll Ever Need
4 1/2 T flour
3 T sugar
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa
scant* 1/4 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 pinches salt
3 tsp vegetable oil
scant 1/4 tsp vanilla
scant 1/2 tsp vinegar
3 T cold water
*"scant" means just a little bit less- because this recipe has been adapted from a much larger quantity, some of the measurements were weird fractions, so just doing a tad less than a full 1/4 tsp, for example, will give you just the right amount.
1. Mix the dry ingredients (1st 5) in your mug with a fork or mini whisk.
2. Make a well (hole) in the center of your dry mixture and add wet ingredients.
3. Stir well with your fork or mini whisk. You may want to use a spoon to make sure you get all the dry ingredients out of the bottom corners.
4. Lick the spoon/fork/whisk. No raw eggs. You're totally allowed.
5. Microwave for 1 minute, 20 seconds. I have a 1000-watt microwave- if your microwave is more or less powerful you may need to adjust this time. Start low and work your way up.
6. Let cool for as long as you can stand it (about 10 minutes is good- I usually dig in early and blow on each bite.)
7. Devour the chocolatey deliciousness.
Aww yeah. Next time you're craving some moist chocolatey goodness, I've got you covered. You're welcome.
I would love it if you tried this out yourself and left a comment to tell me how you liked it. :-)
Linking up to: