Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Why Spend $150 When You Can Get It All for $30? ;-)


My Walgreens haul, with the exception of the Christmas clearance item (I might use it as a Secret Santa gift next year and I don't want anyone to see!) and the Tyelnol filler.
Ahh, it's days like these when the constant clipping, weekly ad-scouring, coupon collecting, and  careful calculating all pay off! I heart Kroger and Walgreens. Really do.

So earlier in the week I got my act together and managed to venture out to Kroger (kidless, thanks to my sweet husband) and may I say how much easier it is to score great deals when you go on a Monday when everything is still in stock? Definitely a bonus! I snagged $100 worth of groceries for $30, which included several freebies- Land O Lakes margarine, Shedds Country Crock, Quaker Rice Cakes (actually made $0.75 on that one) and Kens Lite Accents Salad Spray. I also was able to get some things needed for my pregnant self- Fiber One and Nature Valley granola bars for $1/box, Lean Cuisine Meals (love these for my lunches) for $1.35 each, and Tylenol for $1/box. Oh, and fruit snacks for the kids (okay, and for me too), and dixie napkins. And some ice cream...also for the kids....yeah...

Next I hit Walgreens and my total before coupons was $49.89, and I ended up paying $2.44. I should have paid less, but I didn't plan it well. Nearly everything was free after coupons- 6 Garnier Fructis products, 2 Glade Lasting Impressions, Gillette Fusion Gamer Razor ($0.99 after coupons and RRs), Edge shaving cream ($0.99 after coupons and RRs), and a cute little Christmas item that was on clearance for $1.24. I paid with $10 in RRs from last week, but the total was less than that, so the register beeped. I threw in the closest little item I could find as a filler, which ended up being $1.99 (but it was a purse-sized Tylenol, which I kinda needed) so it pushed my total to $2.44. But I got back $5 in RRs, so it was all good.

The house smells great, the pantry is well-stocked, and my hair has never looked better. This is truly the way to thrive in a lousy economy.

Check back soon for my long-promised series of posts about how I got started couponing and my system for staying on top of the deals and keeping it all organized (well, kind of). 


1 comment:

  1. Are you kidding? THat is wonderful. Can't wait to hear "The Rest of the Story". I'll be checking back.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Nice to know I'm not just sitting here talking to myself. So, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...