Monday, June 30, 2008

Playing Dress-Up!






One of my favorite hobbies is paper crafting, and so you will probably see a lot of that on my blog. I love paper crafting because paper is relatively inexpensive, it's easy to work with, and it's very versatile and beautiful. I do scrapbooking, cardmaking, and decorating with paper. Today I noticed this candle in my bathroom- I bought it because I got a good deal on it and it smells great. Unfortunately, it doesn't look all that beautiful in my bathroom where the primary decor colors are cream, taupe, dark brown, and rubbed brass. So I took the candle up to my little craft room and pulled out some patterned paper scraps from a previous project. Then I unearthed a little ribbon, some brass brads, and a fabric flower and voila! New candle for me! 

I left the "wrapping" loose from the candle- I didn't glue it or tape it to the jar, so it slides right off like a sleeve. That way, when this candle is used up, I can simply remove the sleeve, toss the candle, and slide in a new candle, if I want to.

This is a fast, easy way to dress up a boring candle and have it make a statement that's more than just a nice scent! If you aren't a paper crafter, but you would still like to try this, try just using leftover wrapping paper, plain white paper, or even paper from a brown paper bag. For a more urban look, you could even use newspaper! Just be cautious- make sure that the top part of the paper is well below where the flame will be- a fire is NOT a beautiful addition to your home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy. Nice to know I'm not just sitting here talking to myself. So, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...